| One of the most influential things in our life is our outlook. A negative attitude can make life seem dull, monotonous, and just plain boring. People with negative attitudes typically never have anything nice to say. All of that negative energy can make everything that they touch seem like a waste. Does this sound like anyone you know?
Compare this to someone with a positive attitude. People who exude positive energy are generally more pleasant, willing, courteous, and kind. They make people feel good just by being around. You may even get a bit envious, and want a little bit of their sunshine. They help make life special.
If you do not already have a fabulous outlook on life, try these little tricks to start to change...for the better:
1. Be grateful. Be thankful for all of the good things in your life, and even what may seem bad. As the saying goes, things could always be worse! Even the Bible tells us to be content in whatever state we find ourselves in.
2. Smile. Sometimes, there is something magical about a smile. It can warm up even the most cynical people. Smiling, even when you are not happy, can help you to stay focused on being positive. Sometimes you have to “fake it until you make it.”
3. Do something for you. It doesn't have to be some big, grand retreat or jet-set getaway. Maybe just having a new flavor of ice cream or trying a new perfume is enough. Whatever generally makes you happy, do it.
4. Think of all the good in your life. Meditating on our lives and the good things can make us appreciate the positive experiences that we have already had and look forward to the future.
5. Exercise! Doing something physical will get your blood flowing and endorphins going. Endorphins are believed to improve mood.
6. Give compliments. Seeing the good in others is something that many people struggle with. However, when you see the good in others, many times, they will reciprocate and find something good to say about you. It's a win-win for everyone! Try it.
7. Offer love. It's hard to give love when you are always negative. Give someone a hug or send someone else a nice little token of love to make their day special. You will feel wonderful about it. It can become a good habit to get into.
8. Learn from your experiences both good and bad. If things didn't go the way you wanted them to at some point, don't get frustrated or bitter. Remember, everything in our life happens for a reason. Our experiences can be a positive if we learn from them.
9. Pray. When you pray, you can thank God and learn to appreciate all that He can be in your life. By praying and being thankful in all things, having a grateful attitude can become automatic.
These are just a few ways for you to keep your outlook on life positive in all types of trials and ups and downs that we all face. Your life is what you make it. Be good and it can be good for you. The choice is up to you. What do you want from your life?
Mardie Caldwell, C.O.A.P. is a Certified Open Adoption Practitioner, an award winning author of 2 adoption books AdoptingOnline.com and Adoption: Your Step-by-Step Guide. Mardie is also the talk show host of Let's Talk Adoption.com with Mardie Caldwell and the founder of Lifetime Adoption in 1986. She travels and speaks nationwide on adoption topics, family topics, infertility and writing. She has been quoted in and consulted for Parenting and Adoption magazines and has appeared on CNN, CBS, ABC, BBC, NBC, and Fox. Featured in Parade Magazine, Caldwell is an adoptive mother living in Northern California.